What criteria do I need to meet for the course?

You will need a Bachelor degree, in any subject. You will also need to be able to demonstrate your artistic aptitude, and have adequate German language skills. To see the exact examination and language requirements, visit the university’s website and the Information for International Students:


Do I need to already have completed my Bachelor course before applying?

No. Once admitted and enrolled in the Masters course, you can submit proof of your Bachelor degree retrospectively, but by no later than 15 Dec of the same year.

Is there an age limit?


Can I study part-time?

Yes, a part-time study option is available to students with family and/or professional commitments, illnesses or disabilities. Part-time students have fewer lessons per semester, but at the normal lesson times. It is best to discuss the details with the course co-ordinator once you have been admitted into the course.

On which days are lessons held?

Lessons are held Monday to Friday. Workshops may, in some cases, be held on weekends, though this will be advised with adequate notice.

When do I need to apply?

The application deadline is 15 March of any year, for course commencement in the winter semester of that same year.

Where can I find detailed information and documents for my application to the Folkwang Institute for Pop Music?

This information can be found here.


What do I particularly need to remember when applying?

The most important thing for us is to have a portfolio of your artistic work/activities to date. You should also be especially mindful of the written component of your project plan, which should clearly and concisely state your artistic plans for your Masters course. This should not be longer than four DIN-A4 pages.

How do I apply?

Applications are submitted online via the Folkwang Application Portal. Applications for the winter semester can be submitted from 15/1 to 15/3, which is the closing date of the application period. Please also submit your portfolio with your own work and a draft of your artistic development project (project plan) as a file link through the portal.

What happens after the application?

A few weeks (approx. 4-5) after the application deadline on 15/3, you will receive feedback on the results of the preliminary round, which involves a committee conducting an internal viewing and evaluation of the submitted application documents. If you pass the preliminary round, you will be invited to the second stage of the test (main round), which is held in person on the university campus.

When and where is the main round of the aptitude test held?

The main round (second stage) of the aptitude test is generally held in late May/early June at the Institute for Pop Music in Bochum. The exact date will be advised in the personal invitation. The examination needs to be taken in person on site.

What is the procedure for the main round of the aptitude test?

The main round (second stage) of the aptitude test consists of a practical presentation lasting up to 15 minutes, during which you perform your own music and/or present your own productions before a commission. This is followed by a colloquium lasting up to 30 minutes, which serves as a reflective discussion on your motivations for studying, your plans and goals, your own work, and your views on topics and issues relevant to pop culture.

Who will be assessing me?

Your aptitude will be assessed by an examination commission comprising members of the university and the Institute for Pop Music. The commission consists of several persons.

When will I hear whether or not I have been admitted into the course?

The examination commission will forward the results of the aptitude test to the university’s central examination committee. Once this committee has convened (which will be by no later than mid-June), you will receive written notice as to whether or not you have been admitted.

I didn’t get in the first time. Can I re-apply?

Yes, you can!

My question wasn’t answered here. Whom can I contact?

For general queries, you can contact the university’s central student advisory service.


For course-specific questions, please contact us directly:


Master of Music

Project-based studies
for pop artists